Pages Navigation Menu

The Birthplace of Effingham County

Salzburger House

The Salzburger house was built in 1755 on a site near Jerusalem  Church Cemetery.  It was built of local pine cut into boards at a water powered sawmill located on the creek at old Ebenezer. The foundation blocks for this house was hewn from heart of the longneedle pine that is impregnated with resinous material that resist rot. It was removed from the village in the late 1800′ It was returned to the present site in 1973.

Source: Pamphlet: “Walking Tour of New Ebenezer;” researched and written by John W. Gnann, assisted by Norman Turner.